Connecting to LANL HPC Platforms
Use these instructions to connect to both classified and unclassified HPC machines at LANL.
Classified Machine Access
Complete instructions are available at https://hpc.lanl.gov/red_access (requires LANL cryptocard authentication). Abbreviated instructions are provided below for convenience.
- Login to a classified (SCF) LC machine.
- Make sure you have a valid kerberos credential - use the klist -f command. If in doubt, get a forwardable kerberos credential by authenticating with the kinit -f command.
- Use a compound SSH command that connects to the LANL gateway machine red-wtrw.lanl.gov and then to a front-end login machine of your choice. For example, connecting to a trinity front-end machine:
ssh -l lanl_userid red-wtrw.lanl.gov -t ssh tr-fe.lanl.gov
You should then be logged into the front end machine without the need for a password.
Copying Files between LLNL and LANL Classified Machines
After logging in to a classified machine at either site, and authenticating with kinit -f, you can use optimized Tri-lab file transfer scripts, including file transfer to storage systems. These scripts use hsi, htar and pftp protocols. For details see Tri-lab high bandwidth file transfers over SecureNet.
Unclassified Machine Access
LANL's unclassified machines reside on either the turquoise or the yellow network, and login procedures are different for each network.
Accessing the LANL Turquoise (Open Collaborative) Network
Complete instructions are available at https://hpc.lanl.gov/turquoise_access (requires LANL cryptocard authentication). Abbreviated instructions are provided below for convenience.
- From any location, use your LANL user name and LANL CRYPTOCard to SSH to the LANL gateway, wtrw.lanl.gov. For example:
ssh -l lanlmoniker wtrw.lanl.gov
password: from LANL CRYPTOCard
- Successfully logging in to wtrw.lanl.gov provides you with credentials that allow you to SSH to a LANL HPC front-end node. Example Turquoise network front-end nodes are:
- Badger: ba-fe
- Grizzly: gr-fe
- Kodiak: ko-fe
- Lightshow: ls-fe
- Pinto: pi-fe
- Snow: sn-fe
- Wolf: wf-fe
Accessing Trinitite on the LANL Yellow (Unclassified Protected) Network via iHPC Gateway
Tri-Lab users from Sandia or LLNL can utilize the iHPC gateway to remotely access Trinitite. Complete instructions are available at https://hpc.lanl.gov/ihpc (requires LANL cryptocard authentication). Abbreviated instructions are provided below for convenience.
- Login to an LLNL unclassified machine such as oslic.llnl.gov and authenticate locally using kinit -f and your LLNL credentials.
- Use a compound SSH command that connects to the LANL iHPC gateway and then to a Trinitite front end node. For example:
ssh -l lanl_userid ihpc-gate.lanl.gov -t ssh tt-fey
When prompted for a password on the Trinitite front end node, use your LANL cryptocard password.
Accessing Other Clusters on the LANL Yellow (Unclassified Protected) Network
Please consult the LANL documentation at: https://hpc.lanl.gov/yellow_access (requires LANL cryptocard authentication).
For questions and problems, contact LANL HPC support at: firstname.lastname@example.org