In addition to our Tutorials, users of Livermore Computing (LC) systems have access to several types of user information and documentation. Questions may be directed to the LC Hotline via e-mail or via telephone at (925) 422-4532.
In addition to sharing information provided by commercial software vendors, ASC collaborators, and standard UNIX sources, LC publishes its own documentation, listed below, that primarily addresses those tasks, tools, and techniques important to LC users but neglected by other documentation providers. See menu to the left for a list of User Manuals.
Printing a User Manual
- Find the "Printer-friendly" icon on the upper right of any User Manual page. Activating that link/icon will show you a printer-friendly view of the content of that page and any child pages.
- Use your browser's print capability to print the content. (Ctrl-P, Cmd-P, etc.)
- Want to print the entire manual? Navigate to the manual's first page. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
The messages of the day (also known as MOTDs) are listed after you log in to any machine. They are specific to a machine.
News items are listed when you log in to any machine.
- To read a news item, type: news item_name
- To list unread news items: news -n
- To display the contents of all news items: news -a | more
- To list the names of all news items: news -la
- To read a particular news item: news filename
- To save a news item to a file: news filename > newfilename
Technical bulletins provide three types of information:
- They alert users to changes and new policies.
- They announce training classes and workshops being offered on how to use LC hardware and software.
- They describe the agendas for the LC monthly user meetings. Every bulletin is posted online.
Customer Meeting Viewgraphs
The purpose of the LC customer meetings is to share information about LC software and hardware issues and get feedback from customers about these issues or plans. Short, informal presentations are regularly given by customers summarizing the work being done on LC machines, so LC staff and other customers can better utilize the resources. The viewgraphs from the customer meetings, always posted online after the meeting, provide information about the current status of production machines and updates on machines under development.